9.1.12

Dreams of New York

Today one of my colleagues got back to work after the "holidays" (I say that in inverted commas because I didn't really get any holidays!), all bright and refreshed after an AMAZING SOUNDING trip to NYC, even despite the jetlag. I am completely green with envy of course, as New York is pretty much at the top of my list of places that I want to visit, so this is me dreaming about my trip there.

Ideally I would like to live there, probably near Manhattan, how cliched! Maybe one day?

But for now, a few weeks in the big apple would suffice. The main thing I want to do in New York is eat, I think. Everyone raves about the shopping, but to be honest I'm not much of a shopper. So instead I will eat and end up the size of a house.

P1000151
Photo credit: Flickr user hollywoodsmile78
Eat Street Food

Pretzels, hotdogs, bagels, doughnuts, bad coffee... well maybe not the last one, but oh how my mouth waters for greasy/salty/sweet street food.
The sour tang of mustard cutting through the greasiness of the frank, enclosed in a fluffy white roll.

Crispy, doughy bagels filled with cream cheese.

Sweet sugary donuts, covered in glaze or filled with cream, that make your fingers all sticky.

Have I made your mouth water? Or just fill with vomit?



Visit a Diner

Somewhere that has a sign in brightly coloured fluorescent lights, dingy inside, free refills of drip coffee (does that even exist anymore?), cranky sour-faced waitresses and enormous menus on a double sided laminated A3. I would probably order a hamburger - it'll be a tough challenge because Australia has some pretty damn good hamburgers. Or maybe buffalo wings, because I've never seen a buffalo with wings before! Sorry, that was a bit of a dad joke.


Grand Central Station
Photo credit: Flickr user Konijn in pantervel
Ride the Subway

Especially in peak hour. The trains in Japan weren't very busy when I was there!

Of course I want to walk through Grand Central Terminal and experience that weird acoustic wall thingo where you can hear whispers from the other side of the walkway. And look up at the spectacular mural on the ceiling, painted the wrong way around.

So much grandeur compared with the other train stations I've been to. Sydney's city circle train stations have pretty antique architecture, but are very quaint compared to Grand Central!


Landmarks

I'm not usually a massive fan of touristy type things but for some reason I think I'd like to see the touristy things in NYC, such as the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center, MoMA, the Met, the Natural History Museum. If I'm going to see landmarks and museums, where better than in New York hey?


And finally, for my favourite thing to do when travelling - just walk. Walk around, explore the neighbourhoods, watch people. Sit around in Central Park, take photos, read The New Yorker.

What do you suggest I do in New York?





No comments:

Post a Comment