23.1.12

Speaking in tongues...

So the next little adventure in the globe-trotting mind (as opposed to life) of Emily is learning a new language. I've been thinking about it for a little while, because I'd had a few goes at learning languages (mostly German and Japanese) in school and uni with little success. This time, I narrowed it down to a few languages:
  • German
  • French
  • Spanish.
I wanted to learn German as I had tried it for a semester at university, and some of my heritage is German, so I thought it might be a good idea to try continuing with it. I don't remember much of it at all, but thought there may be some scraps of it hidden in the depths of my memory that would make learning it again a little easier.

I thought French might be a good idea as I've been considering moving to Canada, and given French is Canada's second language (I hope it is not offensive putting it that way, I'm sorry if it is!!) I thought French might be handy.

Lastly, I'm not exactly sure where Spanish came from but it popped into my head the other day. It sounds so songlike and pretty (in my head) and thought that it might be more "attractive" for me to learn. I also heard that it is quite close to French and Italian, so they might be easier to pick up after learning Spanish. I have also wanted to visit Central and South America since forever, and of course Spain, and would love to be able to speak to the locals in their native tongue.

In the end, after umming and ahhing and tossing the ideas around with some friends, I settled on Spanish, deciding to let passion win over practical application, something I rarely do in life. I can already feel it changing my life, this is so unlike me!

I started learning on the weekend, and have used two resources so far. The free part of http://www.spanishprograms.com/ gave me a great introduction. Then I downloaded the Michel Thomas Method app onto my iPhone (on recommendation of a friend) and have been using that ever since. There are so many great free and cheap resources floating around the internet, hopefully they will make my language learning a cinch. I would also love to go to some conversational classes as I begin to be able to form complete sentences on my own. I'm already getting through most of the content that's been presented to me fairly easily, so I hope to get to that stage soon. I think it would be a great way to make new friends. Funnily enough, I got to work today and chatting to a colleague, discovered he started learning Spanish on the weekend too! Hopefully he sticks with it so we can talk about everyone else in Spanish so they don't understand what we are saying.

If anyone knows Spanish or has any tips or tricks, I would love to hear from you!

¡Quiero comer paella y tomar sangria en España pronto! ¿Quiere ir? Por favor, perdón por mi terrible Español.

And here's a random photo of mine because I don't have anything related to Spain, Latin America or languages, and I like photos. Need to figure out what those weird spots are in the middle of the photo.

Centrepoint

7 comments:

  1. ...it wasn't raining when you took the pic, was it? Or maybe a drop smudge on your lens?

    Spanish is an awesome language. Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not raining but there could have been something on the filter. Don't think there was anything that big though. Worried it is a reflection/distortion between the lens and the UV filter but I don't know enough about it all to know if that's possible...

      Delete
  2. It might just be dust on your lens. Funny, I started to learn Spanish online as well the other day through cafemocha. I'm not being a good student though. Will try your app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spanish must be in the water!

      Delete
    2. I know but it is one of the most widely spoken languages so I think that's what won me over. I was considering French and Italian. Did you pay for the app?

      Delete
    3. The app itself is free but the units in the app cost about $6 per unit/hour I think. I figured it wasn't much money to have a decent lesson in my pocket as I am never really sure how accurate free stuff is. Shan recommended them.

      Delete
  3. Adventure is in my blood but this adventurous stuff I had never done before. I want to learn Russian language which helps to explore Moscow in holidays and to learn new language is also adventure. Thanks for adding more adventure stuff in my list which needs to learn in short time.

    ReplyDelete